1/24/15

Review: Maybe Someday by Colleen Hoover (FAV BOOK EVER NO KIDDING!)

Genre: new adult, romance, music.
Series: Standalone (with one novella: Maybe Not)

At twenty-two years old, Sydney has a great life: She's in college, working a steady job, in love with her wonderful boyfriend, Hunter, and rooming with her best friend, Tori. But everything changes when she discovers Hunter's cheating on her--and she is left trying to decide what to do next.

Sydney becomes captivated by Ridge, her mysterious neighbor. She can't take her eyes off him or stop listening to the passionate way he plays his guitar every evening out on his balcony. And there's something about Sydney that Ridge can't ignore, either. When their inevitable encounter happens, they soon find themselves needing each other in more ways than one...

Original music created for Maybe Someday by musician Griffin Peterson can be accessed through the website listed in the ebook and paperback.

My review: ★★★★★ (multiplied by a billion)

Okay I'm going to say it... Maybe Someday is my favorite book. EVER. Like EVER EVER. Like EVER, EVER, EVER. And even beyond that! Do you understand what I mean? E-V-E-R. If you would have asked me yesterday what my favorite book was, I would have answered something like: “What? You can’t be serious! I can’t pick ONE book! There are so many…”.
If you ask me this now, I would say – hell, even scream – “Maybe Someday” without the slightest hesitation. I already know I will reread this book a lot. I’m already itching to pick this book up again and start all over again (but my heart can’t handle it right now). 

“However, I've learned that the heart can't be told when and who and how it should love. The heart does whatever the hell it wants to do. The only thing we can control is whether we give our lives and our minds the chance to catch up to our hearts.” 

Describing all the little things I loved in this book is probably pointless. I would just give you the book itself, because every single thing was perfect to me. I loved every single chapter, sentence, word and song. I’m not even going to talk about the plot in this review because there’s no way I can tell the plot without spoiling anything. 

“For her I bend, for you I break.” 


But okay, first let me start with Sydney. She is… seriously, I just thought about a word to describe her for the last 5 minutes (I’m not even kidding) and I just can’t. She’s everything I wish to be. I think this says a lot. She had a lot to struggle with and yet, she stayed true to herself. She developed through the whole story yes, but she didn’t changed herself. I admire this so much. 

Rigde… Oh Ridge… *sighs* I never loved a character so much! He’s so loyal, honest, caring, selfless, hot (let’s not forget that) and… ugh, he’s basically perfect to me. 
(view spoiler) I just love him. Like love love love love love love him.

“Hey, heart. Are you listening? You and I are officially at war.” 

Put Ridge and Sydney together and you have my OTP right there. The way they dealt with everything that happened to them was unbelievable. The way they were so brutally honest to each other and the way they told each other things through their music is perfect . Their romance is so intense. If someday (I never thought a word like ‘someday’ would hurt so muchohmygod) I fall in love and only have 10% of their romance, then I’ll still be the luckiest woman alive. With Colleen you never get the insta-love type of romance and I love that about her books. Her books are so realistic that sometimes I even forget these characters aren’t real. I never felt so many things while reading book. Hell, I started reading this book a morning before work and I couldn’t concentrate during the whole day, because I couldn’t get the book – more like, Ridge – out of my head. 

“Words can sometimes have a far greater effect on a heart than a kiss.” 

I’m praising the main characters so much, but let’s not forget the side characters! Warren, Bridgette, Maggie, Brandon… they are all amazing too. Warren is awesome. He’s funny and he’s such a good friend to Sydney. And he’s hilarious too! I’m so glad ‘Maybe Not’, the novella, is about him and Bridgette! I’m going to read this book asap, because I need one more dose of Colleen’s perfectness. 

“To me, lyrics are harder to write when you have to invent the feelings behind them. That's when lyrics take a lot of thought, when they aren't genuine.” 

And the music! Ohmygoodnessssssssssss!!! This is the best experience E-V-E-R. 
Rigde is a musician (guitar hmmm) and songwriter. Sydney is also a musician. She writes lyrics and plays the piano. But Ridge is having a writers-block and so one way or another, they end up writing together. The lyrics that are being written by Ridge and Sydney have been turned into actual songs! Colleen collaborated with a singer, Griffin Peterson. They is an actual soundtrack to the book! So whenever you read lyrics, you can listen to the soundtrack of the book. This is the best experience ever. These songs can be bought, but also listened to for free on this site: 
http://www.maybesomedaysoundtrack.com/

Although I recommend NOT listening to the songs if you haven’t read the book yet. It will make the reading experience even more special. My favorite song is – of course – Maybe Someday. I’ve been listing to this one repeat while writing this review (I started like 3 hours ago by the way). 
The lyrics are absolutely not random and fit perfectly into this book. They are based on the true feelings of Ridge and Sydney. Everything they didn’t dared to tell each other, you can find it in one of the songs. Just beautiful. 

“Kisses like his should come with a warning label. They can't be good for the heart.” 

This book made me laugh, cry, squeal, hold my breath, stopped my heart, and so many other feelings. When I say this book is a roller coaster of feelings, trust me, it IS. You feel every single damn thing Sydney and Ridge are feeling. The writing of Colleen is gorgeous. It’s absolutely not the typical type because Ridge and Sydney communicate in a different way. It’s the most beautiful thing I’ve ever read. I wouldn’t even change the slightest thing. 
Anyway, I could keep on and on about this masterpiece. If my review isn’t convincing enough for you to read this book then I don’t know what will. 

“The more I open up to him, the more I need him. The more I admit to myself that I need him, the most it hurts to know that I still don't exactly have him.” 

I probably also forgot to mention a million other things I loved about this book, so everything I forgot can be explained with this gif:



I think I’m going to listen to the soundtrack for a few million times again. And probably cry some more. Okay, bye *grabs 7 packages of tissues and crawls into bed*.

No comments:

Post a Comment