1/1/15

AWARDS: Best books of 2014!

Epic Reads did an award-thingy about the best books of 2014 and I thought: "Why not do this based on what I read in 2014?". So here it is! I used the same categories as EpicReads, but I picked two to three best books for each one. Because I just couldn't pick one :D
I read over a 100 books this year so trust me, it was very difficult to narrow it down to max 3 books for each category! Okay, here we go:

Pagemaster
Award given to my favorite author of the year.


Jennifer L. Armentrout is my favorite author of this year and probably forever. She is the Queen of New Adult! I love all her books so much. Because of her I’m so into New adult and paranormal romances. I’m glad she has so many books, because I can’t enough of the world and character she creates. Every month I managed to read a few books by her and I just love it so much. If you don't know her, go her goodreads page! You won't regret it!
PS: I'm warning you, there are a lot of books of her in this post! ;)

New kid on the shelves
Award for the best debut novel of the year.


1. Ignite by Lily Paradis
I had the amazing opportunity to read an ARC of this book and I loved it so much! Can’t wait to read more of her work in the future! Read my review here

2. The Murder Complex by Lindsay Cummings
I helped to promote this book and I don't regret it at all. If you love fast-paced books with TONS of plot twist, then this is definitely something for you! Read my review here

3. The Jewel by Amy Ewing
This is the first book of a new trilogy. If you loved The Selection by Kiera Cass, then this is definitely for you. Warning, it has a little darker theme. Read my review here.
Cover lust
Award for the best book design of the year.


1. Ignite Me by Tahereh Mafi
This is the third book in the Shatter Me series and they are all so pretty that I could give them all an award. But the colors of this one are just gorgeous. The combination of orange/red and green is just wow. 

2. A Thousand Pieces Of You by Claudia Gray
I haven't read this book yet, but I just love the cover. I own this book and let me tell you: It's even more gorgeous when you see all the little details in real life. Just beautiful!!

3. The Law Of Moses by Amy Harmon
I haven't read this book either, but I pre-ordered it when I saw the cover. SO GORGEOUS. Oh and the inside is so pretty too! Each chapter page has this art on it and it's just ... * sighs*

Silver screen award
Award for the best book adaptation.
  

1. The Fault In Our Stars by John Green
I mean... do I need to explain myself? The cast is perfect and I just cried like a baby... 

2. If I Stay by Gayle Forman
At first I wasn't so sure about the casting, but I ended up loving it. I really hope they film Where She Went too. I loved the book, but loved the movie even more. Made me cry all over again! And the music in this movie was amazing too! If you haven't listened to the soundtrack, listen here.

3. The 100 by Morgan Kass
The CW made a tv show based on the book and I love it so much more!! Seriously, this show is amazing. It's very different from the books, but I didn't mind at all. The books (there are two: The 100 and Day 21) are good, but they are like the first episode of the show. I hope this show will be around for a long time! Read my review of The 100 and Day 21.

I ship it
Award for the best couple of the year.
  


1. Lies Unspoken by Lisa De Jong
This one is a recent release and I loved it. I had to chance to read an ARC and I fell in love with Blake and Lila. The chemistry between them is oh so good. There is a love triangle in this one by the way. But not the typical kind of triangle so it was very refreshing! Read my review here.

2. Crush by Lacey Weatherford
This is the first book I read by Lacey and this series is just amazing. Cami and Hunter are definitely in my top 5 of all time OTP's! Read my mini-review here.

3. Ignite Me by Tahereh Mafi
Warner and Juliette are so meant to be. Ohmygoodness, whenever I think about them I'm fangirling all over again. These two together is all my heart desires. If you haven't read book 2 or 3 you probably don't understand why I'm saying that. So a little advice to you: GO READ THE NEXT BOOKS!!! (I'm not yelling, it's just very important). Read my "review" here

All by myself
Award for the best standalone novel of the year.
  

1. Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma
This book just ripped me into a million pieces. A lot of people recommended this one to be, but I was never 100% convinced I would like it. Oh boy, I was so wrong. I ended up ugly crying, just saying. If you haven't read this book yet, don't read to much reviews about it. Go into it blind. You'll love it. Read my review here.

2. Volition by Lily Paradis
This book isn't released yet. But I beta-read it for Lily. And I loved it. I cannot wait to have the actual book in my hands and read it again!! Find out more about this book here.

3. Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson
I finished reading this book in one day and it was so good! It's a perfect summer read and the storyline is amazing. It's definitely not the last book I'll read by Morgan! Read my review here

Here and now
Award for best contemporary novel of the year.



1. Trust In Me by JLA/J. Lynn
Oh man, I loved this book so much. It's the same story as Wait For You, but in Cam's POV. It made me fall in love with this book all over again. I'm a sucker for romances, but when it's in a guy's POV, I'm basically in Heaven. Combine this with JLA's writing style and I'm floating on a fluffy pink cloud. Do I need to say more? ;) Read my review here.

2. Hopeless by Colleen Hoover
I always heard Colleen was an amazing writer, but I never thought much about it because I never had the opportunity to read a book by her. But then I bought Hopeless and I devoured it completely! It is truly amazing and Colleen is indeed awesome! I just bought Maybe Someday and I cannot wait to read it! Read my review here.

3. The Real Thing by Cassie Mae
This is another ARC I had the opportunity to read. I loved it so much. I'm a sucker for romances between two best friends and this book is the perfect example. Read my review here.

A whole new world
Award for the best fantasy novel of the year.


1. Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Daemon Black, hot alien, glows beautifully in true form, badass, funny, green eyes.... Do I need to convince you even more? Yes? Okay. BEST SERIES EVER! I think you get my point now ;) The Lux series is my fav series ever. I'm not even kidding. I like it even more than Harry Potter! Read my review here.

2. Hired Gun Serial One by AJ Bennet
I always loved books with some mythology and this one has plenty of it. It's also a bit of more mature book, so I love it! It's short though, but I read the two next ones already and I love all of them! Read my review here.

3. Half-Blood by Jennifer L. Armentrout
You're probably thinking: "ANOTHER JLA BOOK?!" Well yeah... warned you haha. I love her books! I've only read Daimon and Half-Blood (and a part of Pure) from the Covenant series, but it's amazing so far. It's a little similar to Vampire Academy (by Richelle Mead) and I'm in love with the characters. Two sexy guys in combination with a badass main character. What do you need more, right? Read my review here

Hot under the cover
Award for the sexiest novel of the year.



1. Wait For You by JLA/J. Lynn
I fell in love with Cam in this book and I'm never ever forgetting him. He bakes cookies and has a pet turtle. I don't think there's a character I love more than him. And Cam with Avery are fireworks! One of the sexiest couples ever! Read my review here.

2. Easy by Tammara Webber
This book got me into New Adult. Since then I'm completely hooked. This book is just perfect. I loved it so much agh! Landon comes very close to Cam's perfection. Him and Jacqueline are so meant to be. Sadly, I don't have a written review of this one yet. Find out more about this book here

3. Phoenix by Raine Anthony
One word: HOT. This book is a little similar to The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks. But way more hotter in my opinion. Find out more about this book here.

End of an era
Award for the best series that ended in 2014.



1. Smolder by Lacey Weatherford
Smolder is the last book in the Crush series (mentioned in 'I Ship It'). This book wasn't in the same POV as the other books, but in Russ' POV. He's a "side-character" in the three previous books, but I always had a little crush on him. This book made me very happy! Read my review here.

2. Isla And The Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins
My favorite contemporary read EVER. Stephanie is the Queen of Contemporary and this book made my heart do these crazy little jumps. I could read this book a million times! Josh is amazing and the way Stephanie ended this trilogy is perfect! Read my (over-excited) review here.

3. Opposition by JLA
You're probably sick of all the JLA books in this list haha, but Opposition is the last book in the LUX series. It's the perfect ending for this supernatural series. I wish there was more though, because I miss Daemon already!! Read my review here.

Teardrops on my shelf
Award for the book that made you cry the most.


1. Making Faces by Amy Harmon
I started this book blind and I ended up LOVING it. It had an unexpected ending and I cried so much. Oh man, I remember that I finished reading this book at 1AM and crying alone in the dark. When you finish this book, make sure you have plenty of tissues and someone to hug afterwards. You're going to need it. Badly. Read my review here.

2. When It Rains by Lisa De Jong
This book surprised me on so many levels. I loved it so much and it's definitely one of my all time favorites. There was an plot twist I hadn't seen coming and I ended up crying my eyes out! I recommend this book to everyone who loves a good and realistic romance! Read my review here

3. Me Before You by Jojo Moyes
This book was recommended to me, but I never really was excited about it. And then I started reading it and fell in love with the main characters. It has a slow start but the ending makes you forget all the little negative things about this book. I cannot wait to see the movie adaptation! Read my review here.

Best Of Schelves
Award given to the overall best book of the year.

  I could put all the books I mentioned above in this section, but if I had to pick only three then I pick these three:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you read until here: thank you so much. I know this post is SO long, but I hope I convinced you to read at least one of them ;)

Do you agree with some of my choices? Or not at all? 
Let me know what you think in the comments! 

Melissa xo

No comments:

Post a Comment