10/5/14

Review: The One by Kiera Cass

My rating: ★★★★+0.5
Genre
young adult, dystopia, romance.
Series: The Selection #3

Blurb from Goodreads:

The Selection changed America Singer's life in ways she never could have imagined. Since she entered the competition to become the next princess of Illéa, America has struggled with her feelings for her first love, Aspen—and her growing attraction to Prince Maxon. Now she's made her choice . . . and she's prepared to fight for the future she wants.

My review: 

I can’t believe it’s over. Well for now at least (May 2015, please be here fast).
I loved this book a lot! I’m very happy how everything turned out.

“Break my heart. Break it a thousand times if you like. It was only ever yours to break anyway.”

America is such a strong character. She had her whiny moments, but doesn’t everyone?
She was so strong in the ending and I’m very happy for her. She deserves everything she had in the ending… (view spoiler). She stood up for herself and fought bravely or what she wanted. A lot of people hated her (readers I mean), but I didn’t feel that way. Sometimes she was a bit frustrating, but it didn’t make me want to pull my hair out like a lot of people. I mean, every character has a little irritating side, no? (view spoiler)

“The best people all have some kind of scar.”

Maxon was the most frustrating character for me! I’ve been in Team Maxon from the very beginning, but sometimes I couldn’t stand him in this book. Don’t get me wrong, I still liked him, but geez… he was so double-sided in this book. One little mistake from America and he ran to Kriss. But – just like with America – I forgive him, because the ending was just perfect!

“Leave it to you to find beauty in something others would say ruins a day.”

Aspen is… *sighs*. I don’t even know how to describe him, but he certainly captured a part of my heart. I liked him so much. He’s funny, adorable and SO brave! Him being a guard is possibly the best thing that happened to him. I’m very happy that he found his true purpose in the country. (view spoiler)

“I want everything with you, America. I want the holidays and the birthdays, the busy season and lazy weekends. I want peanut butter fingertips on my desk. I want inside jokes and fights and everything. I want a life with you.”

One person I didn’t expect to like in this series is Celeste! (view spoiler)

“Your eyes look like chocolate,” I mumbled.
He smiled. “And yours look like the morning sky.”


By the way: My favorite scene of this book is when Celeste, Kriss and Elise go to America’s room. That was just perfect! ♥ I’m so glad they had that moment. I often wondered why they didn’t do it before. Go to each other rooms I mean. I was so glad when they finally did, because without that moment, I think the whole Selection would have ended up differently.

“And there we were, in the background of it all, holding on to one another. The Perfectionist, the Sweetheart, the Diva . . . and me.”

The writing was good, just like the previous books. The storyline was good too. Although it felt a little slow at some points and a bit too rushed in the ending. Otherwise very good.
The part about the rebels was a little confusing though. I still have a bunch of questions left. (view spoiler) This was supposed to be the ending of a trilogy. If this was the last book I wouldn’t have been happy with it. Fortunately there are two more books to come. May 2015 can’t come any faster!!

“You are not the world, but you are everything that makes the world good. Without you, my life would still exist, but that's all it would manage to do.”

I have so much else to say, but I don’t want to overwhelm everyone :D So my conclusion is: If you hesitate to read the third book of this series. Just don’t. Read it because it’s definitely worth it!!

View this on Goodreads here.

Bonus: BOOK TRAILER:

No comments:

Post a Comment